Best Immigration Attorney Coral Gables | Immigration Law Firms Coral Gables | Immigration Law Offices Coral Gables

Maintainance Of Legal Status

Best Immigration Attorney Coral Gables

Once you have legal status in the United States, it is essential to keep it. Falling out of status can lead to serious immigration consequences, including removal/deportation. Similarly, if you wish to travel outside of the U.S., it is important to have the proper travel documents to ensure that you can return without problem.

At the Law Office of David Estrella P.A., our immigration attorney has helped many clients who have fallen out of status. Our law firm understands the cost of this common immigration mistake and can help you avoid it.

Falling out of status will not only put you at risk for removal/deportation.

It can also:

  • Make it impossible to return to the U.S. when you leave it for travel
  • Make it more difficult to adjust your status to permanent residence

There are many ways to fall out of status. Some examples are:

  • A person in the U.S. on a student visa is not allowed to work; if he or she decides to work without applying for work authorization, he or she may fall out of status.
  • If an individual in the U.S. on a travel visa stays longer than the visa allows, he or she will fall out of status.
  • Individuals with green cards can also fall out of status. If they travel out of the country for more than six months, there is a presumption that they were not planning on maintaining their statuses. If they are gone for more than a year, they can lose their green card.

We can explain your obligations and help ensure that you meet them at all times.

Changes and Extensions of Status

If you are in the United States in most non-immigrant visa categories you may avail yourselves of an extension of status.  Most categories of visas also allow for a change of status to another visa category.  To be certain as to your eligibility for a change or extension of status, please contact us in order to make you an appointment to discuss your particular eligibility and immigration goals.

Those persons who choose to enter the United States as tourists from Visa Waiver Program countries do so without an option to extend or change status. 

Which countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)?
Currently, 36 countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program, as shown below:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • the Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom

Travel Documents

Maintaining your status is one of the many reasons to ensure that you have the proper documents before travelling. We help clients assess their travel requirements and apply for travel documents such as:

  • Advance parole: If you have filed for permanent residence and your case is still pending, you will need to obtain advance parole before travelling abroad.
  • Re-entry permit: If you are a permanent resident and you would like to travel overseas for more than six months and up to two years, you can request a re-entry permit.
  • Refugee travel document: A refugee travel document allows refugees to travel overseas.

In addition to applying for travel documents, you should also make sure that your green cards are renewed (when applicable) and your foreign passports are up to date.

For more information, or to schedule an appointment about maintaining your status or immigrant travel documents, contact David Estrella P.A. at 1-866-628-0510.